It’s the 11th!

Well it’s done!  After nine months with a 2two month delay waiting for the half-track model to be release we have the…” Sollum Höhe 208 (Sollum Height 208)”; a German 88mm Flak 36 artillery piece & Sd.kfz.7 8ton half-track assigned to the I.Flak-Regiment 33 (2 Batterie), Deutches Afrika Korps during the North African Campaign around April 1942. 

1.JPG 

The Flak 36 was straight from Tamiya’s new 88mm GunFlak36 ‘North African Campaign” except I borrowed the bogies from their original Flak 36/37 kit.  Although the figures came directly from the kit, the radio operator was another kit, except I had to scratch build the antenna based on an image I had from a German WWII Panzers in the Desert reference book. 

3.jpg   9.jpg  5.jpg

The Sd.Kfz.7 8t Half-track Initial Production was Dagon’s new Smart Kit release that hit the street in October 2009!  I had to scratch-built a few items, the bustle rack on the very back to hold the jerry cans and the canvas roof in the stowed position.  Even though Eduard’s 8t tool boxes were designed for the Trumpeter kit, with a slight modification, they worked just fine for Dragon’s.  Eduard’s 8t engine PE kit provided the engine side panels covers.  The rifles, MG34, and MP40 came from Italeri’s Accessories II kit.  Since I needed Luftwaffe license plates for my project, I turned to Peddinghaus-decals to provide them.   Dragon provided five different German Army plates – no Air Force.  Archer dry transfers provided German helmet insignias, uniform patches, DAK palm trees, German tactical symbols, and Sd.Kfz.7 instrument panels and generic lettering.  Verlinden Productions provided ration boxes, wooded barrels, military provisions, stowage cargo & accessories, bottles, crates, and German food supplies.  The Luftwaffe Anti-Aircraft Badge is a reproduction from Landser Outfitters based in California.

7.jpg  8.jpg  6.jpg

As for the base work; I used CelluClay for the base along with folk-art paint.  I most have gone through seven different colors before hitting the right combination to give a desert color.  I spread the plaster over wax paper in a cookie sheet.  Once dry, I broke into pieces and stacked to make the wall.  A 50-50 water/glue solution was used to set the wall in place.  Again, once dry I used folk-art paints again to paint it.

As for other news, Jim Melvin & I decrease the duck population around Corpus Christi again.  Both sons could not make it due to one being sick and the other having to work.  We each bagged redheads, buffleheads, and pintails. 

Day 1: we bagged our redheads early in the morning.  I managed to drop two in the first pass and couldn’t hit anything afterwards – had a chance at one or two more birds, but no luck.  Jim got one in the first pass and another later – then he couldn’t hit them either.  So we packed up for the day. 

 img_1626e2.jpg  Day 2 Hunt

Day 2: we were out for buffleheads & pintails.  Went to a different area and the blind was out in the middle of no-where!  Water everywhere and the land was only visible on the horizon.  We got our buffleheads early, but mine was a hen.  So Jim holds off shooting until a drop a drake.  I soon drop another, but once more a hen.  Finally after much waiting I finally drop a drake.  Then some pintails circle and it takes a lot of calling to get them to attempt to land.  We each drop one, but mind lands further out from the blind.  The only sad thing is that pintail I knocked down was hurt just enough not to get airborne again.  I must have chased him for miles!  I was in water up to my knees while he was about 50 yards or more away.  Although he couldn’t fly, he sure could swim and paddle his feet he did…I could never gain on him and by the time I turned to see how far I was from the bind, the bind was just a speck on the horizon!

We stayed on our guides property and were fed – and what a feast!  There was no lack of food for each meal!  First night was a Texas BBQ with ribs, sausage, brisket & duck.  Next night, duck gumbo with all the trimming; corn bread, mash potatoes, green beans, etc.  Lunch times always had leftovers which there was plenty of.

O’well I’ve written too much…so see you next month

Chuck here’s some pitures of actually artillery range finders…

Just like my model  Large Naval Range finder

3 Responses to “It’s the 11th!”

  1. The Chuck says:

    Good job on the models. The guy with the bazooka must be near sighted.

  2. Andy says:

    Bazooka? O’ the guy with the long tube and he’s through the middle of it…that’s one of several types of range finders. They were not based on electronics but rather on the two image overlay principal whereby two lenses side by side but separated by 1 or 2 feet, like binoculars, could be focused until their images overlapped. When they did the spotter was able to read the distance.

    I’ll add some pics later to show…

  3. Andy says:

    Later tanks would incorperate range finders…they would have round blisters located on either side of the turret.

    Even ships had them…the next time you look at a battleship or WWII era ship, the range finders would be located on sides of main guns.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.